Today my precious little boy turns 5! I can hardly believe that 5 years has passed since Aaron and I got up so early that Monday morning and packed up our unbelievable amount of gear and headed to the hospital. What joy Kristiaan has brought to our lives!
As I worked into the wee hours of the morning shopping for many special little gifts to plant around our house, making a to-do list for Bubba to check off as we go about our planned day and wrapping the gifts for Aaron to hide, I just reflected on how blessed we have been to be entrusted with Kristiaan's life. I just prayed that in this next year of his life, that I would be more patient, more diligent in training and teaching him, that I would love him more and that I would show him by my actions what is means to love God...so that one day, he will love Him too!
We have such a great day planned to just shower our love and attention on Bubba and remind him how special he is to us. First off, Aaron took the day off and when Kristiaan got up they both made his favorite breakfast - french toast. It 's a special thing between Aaron and Bubba because in all the time Kristiaan has helped Aaron, he has learned how to make french toast and LOVES doing it! Last night, I laid out a new Go Diego Go placemat at his spot on the table with a small package of Jolly Ranchers on it all tied up in ribbons. The look on his face that something was new...and it was for HIM was so cute! When Bubba went it the fridge to get the eggs - he discovered another surprise...a new water bottle just for him! (he has a thing with always wanting water!)
Kristiaan loves lists! (Please note: if you the least bit surprised by reading this - get off my blog now! HaHaHa! - yes, I am the same way) So, I made him a "Bubba's Birthday To-Do List" and on it are all the surprises that Aaron and I planned for his entire day. The great thing about the list is that Kristiaan can't read fully yet, so it will remain a surprise - HaHaHa! I just tell him what we are doing when we get to it so he can check it off! Ha!
After breakfast, I told Kristiaan he could play on the computer. When he opened the computer hutch he discovered a new computer game that he's been asking for! (He's been playing the sample online and I just downloaded the full version for him) After a bit, we suggested that he go and check off his calendar (something we do every day) and there was a new keychain to add to his collection. Then, when he got dressed and put his shoes on he discovered more gifts in his dresser and shoe basket (a Wall.e paint book and magic growing sponges). The thing I love is that we didn't make it to be a gift treasure hunt. We just placed his gifts in the places that he goes when we have a normal day...so it's more just a perk to what he normally does!
After a morning of playing his new things, we made smoothies and turkey sandwiches for lunch and then headed to Powell's Sweet Shoppe - an AWESOME fairytale candy store. When we jumped into the car to go, Bubba discovered another gift in his carseat (cute binoculars that look like eagle eyes). Right now, the little ones are down and Aaron took Bubba to swim. There are also other gifts hidden in the mailbox and Bubba's toothbrush drawer =) Then later, we'll head to Red Robin for dinner and have a few more little gifts to open when we get home to wrap up our fun-filled birthday.
Aaron and I had sooo much fun planning out Bubba's special day...and all those gifts and stuff really were only a few dollars each. It is just a great way to make a kid's day totally fun! We think we'll make this a tradition for the kids as they are growing up - even if there are parties and such, it's usually the case that your birthday lands on another day and it's so fun to do things that focus on just them! We have a special day planned to celebrate Kristiaan and Kayla's birthday with family and a couple friends on Wednesday....then on Friday Kayla turns 2! So, stay tuned for more fun updates.
Monday, July 21
Happy Birthday Bubba!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)












3 comments:
I love your treasure hunt idea! It reminds me of when my mom would put a plastic egg in our Easter basket that had a slip of paper with the reference numbers to a verse in the Bible. We would go look up the verse and then try to figure out what in the verse was a clue to where our little gift was hidden in the house.
What an amazing day you gave Kristiaan! Great ideas...he is so lucky to have such wonderful parents who love him so much!
SO CUTE! I knew you'd do something fun and creative!!! I love to hear about it, because I feel I am there watching the excitement! =)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KRISTIAAN!!!
Post a Comment