Sunday, September 9

Summer's Over.

It's been a bit slow in the blogging world the last few days. All of the people I ususally check up on haven't posted, myself included, since Wednesday or Thursday. It's amazing how quickly 4 days goes by without realizing.

This last week officially ended summer in the Voss house. This next week brings the start of all our fall activities. I begin the week with a trip to the dentist; then we have men's/women's Bible study going on Tuesday night; Wednesday the bug sprayers are coming (which by the way, it turns out since we are on the regular service, they are treating the inside for free!); Thursday I have a doctor's appointment and Compass Night at church begins (which we are going to be hearing a series on the End Times and Kristiaan will begin in AWANA). Very exciting stuff going on!

I especially looking forward to the things at church. The beginning of July we began attending Compass Bible Church, and I tell you....this church is not for the faint hearted! The truth that comes from the pulpit on a weekly basis is not only challenging but at the same time, encouraging. It has led me to examine my life in a different way, uncovering things about me, that have been pushed aside - revealing where God wants to work in me.

This morning was the second week in an 8-week series by Pastor Mike called Our Fight With Sin. Lest you think otherwise, this is not some feel good, God is full of love and grace even when we screw up type message - we are talking in your face truth about how we need to view the seriousness of sin on our lives! This morning I was moved by one point that the pastor made - it's just pain! So many times, in our battle with sin, we focus on the the process rather than the end goal. I know in my life there are areas that demand obedience in order for change to take place and rather than focusing on the joy that will come from obeying, all I can see is the pain and sacrifice it will take to get there. The sad part is that so many times, it's enough to discourage me from even starting. Yet when we think of Christ and the sacrifice he made on our behalf; the pain that he endured - we should be so ashamed that we cannot endure discomfort for a time in order for God to bring about change in us! After all, it's just pain!

Philippians 12:2 "fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

If I were to crave God's approval and focus on the JOY that comes with the act of obedience - and think less of the sacrifice that is required, I know that I would be more victorious in my daily battle with sin! What about you? If anyone would be interested in hearing this powerful series you can listen online for free!

1 comment:

Chiara said...

Hi, Alicia! I commented on your bug post earlier in the week. I go to Compass, and I just wanted to let you know how great the Thrive group is--married couples with no kids or young kids. From your picture, you guys would be perfect. We had this group at Mike's old church as well, and our lifelong friends are from this group. We get people into accountability and small groups, and I can't explain enough how people get plugged into people with similar life stages and find that bond with Christian friends. My husband and I co-lead the group with Scott and Heather Gilmore. We are going through I Thessalonians this year. Unfortunately it meets during Mike's Thursday night class, but he is doing DVD's and CD's of his sermons on the End Times. Even if you want to come in January, that would be great. Come peek in the Compass Room and say "hi" sometime.