Applesauce that is. You know those apples that I was telling you about that I got from Aaron's parents? Well, I finally borrowed Michelle's apple peeler/corer/slicer (the greatest invention of all time!) and did about 35 apples. I had to cook them in two stockpots there were so many! I added about 1 1/2 cups of water to cook them in and steamed them about 15 to 20 minutes. Once they were done, I used Nate's bamix (a mixing wand type thingie - another great invention) and just blended the apples right in the pot! It was cool because I could control how much they were mashed - I love chunky applesauce! Once I got both pots mashed up, I combined the apples into one pot (they shrink after cooking) and then added about 2/3 cup of sugar (I like my applesauce a little sweet, but not too sweet) and about 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon. It was the perfect amount since I really like cinnamon (the normal person however, might just like about 1 1/2 teaspoons). I then cooked it, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes to give the sugar a change to dissolve. Since I don't have all the things to actually can yet, I just put the applesauce into tupperware and put in the fridge. The amount of applesauce was 14 cups!!! I was so excited at how much it made! So, I think I will get the canning equipment in a week or so. It was so simple with the apple peeler/corer/slicer! I might also just slice some up and dry them out in the oven.
So this applesauce thing reminds me of a story that is a running joke in my family. When I was in High School I was taking cooking. Well, being the cook that I am, I was all excited about the recipes that I was making and decided to copy them onto these cute recipe cards that my mom bought me. Well, I was so mad because I kept messing up and would therefore toss the card and start over. I was copying a recipe for applesauce and accidentally wrote Aliciasauce. My sister, Monica, thought it was so funny that she just began calling me Aliciasauce which led to Saucia and Sauce. My little brother, Jeffery, still calls me Sauce sometimes.
Wednesday, August 4
Sauce...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)












No comments:
Post a Comment