This evening, we had a wonderful dinner party at our house. Our friends, Steve and Esther, whom we have know for a very long time (since college) are moving clear across the country to New Jersey. Steve accepted a pastoring position at a small church there and they are following the Lord's call to serve oh, so far away! So Aaron and I and 8 others enjoyed a really fun evening visiting, laughing and saying our last goodbyes to our friends.
Michelle and I coordinated this event and we served steak, shrimp (both on the barbee) asparagus, salad (both green and fruit), bruschetta, and brownie sundaes for dessert. We were all so stuffed, that all we could do was sit around and burn the calories by talking up a storm. Good times.
So then, on to my story. We got this great little car, the PT Cruiser that I mentioned in my last post. Something that I have been learning in my relationship with God lately, is the importance of obedience. I cannot count the many times that I know what I should do and yet, do not do it. I lose my temper, say bad words, worry about tomorrow....and the list goes on. However, God in not interested in our excuses, reasoning or justifications, He just wants us to do what He asks of us....and this is how we know that we love Him....
Well, we came across this wonderful little car that someone from Biola was selling. They said that if we couldn't pay for the car outright, then they would be willing to help with the financing - meaning they will finance with their bank (and credit) and we'll pay them back. So, we were like, great! (although it is an extremely long story, we have got the worst credit and cannot get financed to save our lives)
Anyhow, we got the car and I have been driving it around for 2 1/2 weeks. Then, we find out from the owners that their bank will not put us on the title to the car. No title means no insurance which ultimately means that we have to give the car back! I knew in my heart of hearts that this was the right thing to do. In Scripture there are warnings against putting up security for another, co-signing on loans, even loaning money!...and here we were just going to let someone do just that for us.
Well, I got back on Biola's website to see if we could just get a car that will get us by until we can save enough to buy a new car and get it financed through our credit. Well, this one car, a 1989 Cadellic El Dorado was for sale. I had looked at it several weeks before and yet here it was knocked down $800 from the original asking price making the car $995! I wondered at coincidence...I think not! Just as we made arrangements to pick up this vehicle tomorrow evening, Aaron talks to the owners of the PT Cruiser and they said that they would put the cost of the car on a credit card so that they could hold the title and we could insure the car and therefore keep it.
I battled in my head for a good 20 minutes over the fact that I really loved the new car we have and that I really wanted it. Would it really be so bad to let them use their credit so that we could buy this car from them? We could probably have it paid off in less than three years, couldn't we just overlook it this time? Yet, in my heart, I knew what the right thing to do was. God just wants obedience.
So, it is so sad to have to say goodbye to something that really wasn't even mine to begin with. However, the experience has reassured me of the Lord's faithfulness to us in that He will always provide for our needs. It may not be in a sporty brand new car, but rather a old 2-door tank...but He is still faithful.
Tuesday, September 13
A Little Story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)












3 comments:
Well, I for one, am proud of you for making the right decision. Here's to ghetto grandma cars. *clink* (that's the sound of our toating glasses clinking together!)
uh...toasting...
Alicia-
Wow, what a story. I am so encouraged how you really stood strongly to do the right thing. When you say "couldn't we just overlook it this time?"...I think that alot of times about different things, but your words are convicting, "God just wants obedience." Thanks so much for sharing this story. Praise God, that no matter what, He is still so faithful!
-Christa
Post a Comment