Around here in the Voss household, the holidays officially start when I make my first pumpkin pie. There is just something about pumpkin pie that makes me feel all festive! Usually the holidays begin really early because it's become tradition for me to make my friend Gabbie a pumpkin pie for her birthday every year (which is on October 10th). However, things have been a bit hectic and I hadn't gotten around to doing it until this weekend...and even then I made the pie for the Voss family reunion (not for Gabbie - sorry Gab!). This delay in things would sure explain why I haven't gotten in the groove for my Christmas party yet, I mean, the invitations aren't even made!
So, this weekend was pretty busy with all the things going on: birthday parties, date night, family reunion, church and just stuff. However, no matter how busy you get, it seems to always end up being fun.
Yesterday, being Halloween and all, Aaron put locks on the gates that surround our yard so that no one could come up to the door and bother us. I really dislike Halloween. It represents things that are evil to me. I mean, yes, kids dress up and go collect sackfulls of candy...harmless right? True. But, beyond the innocense of the children walking up and down the street, is witchcraft and the worship of Satan....I read this news clip online yesterday, this person who is involved with wicca said that a lot of witches come out on this night to cast spells and commune with spirits because "the veil between us and the other side is the thinnest during Halloween." If that doesn't just freak you out! Halloween is one of those "holidays" that started out on darkness...it's just become more subdued (to the eye) over the years, and now most people see it as a harmless holiday. Well, I grew up thinking different, and I still think that way. I think that if our church were ever to do a harvest party or something, we would go just for something to do so that we don't have to be home with the lights off. Besides, it's fun to dress up, I just have a hard time with the fact that we would be "doing" Halloween, but not really...because it's just titled something else. I would be interested if someone had some thoughts on this stuff. Okay....off my soapbox now.
Monday, November 1
Pumpkin Pie & the Holidays.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)












3 comments:
I personally think that it is kind of a copout to have a "Harvest Festival" or Tailgate Party" at a church on Halloween... because lets face it, they are celebrating Halloween in a different way to distract people from celebrating halloween in an evil way. But you're STILL celebrating HALLOWEEN! I mean, why not have kids collect candy from people's tailgates on Aug. 17th?
It's like non-believers who celebrate Christmas without celebrating Christ's birth... When it comes down to it, it's hard to see the difference on the surface level.
So I say do what you're comfortable with. I personally will never let my children go trick-or-treating for safety reasons, but have no problem with dressing up and fun parties.
Not sure what I think on the issue. I agree with the idea that Halloween is a holiday based on Evil and Satan. And to think that by celebrating it we are participating in that in any way really disturbs me. However, I do remember trick-or-treating as a child...I have pictures of every costume I ever wore...So what then...Well, as the Christians did with Christmas, we could celebrate "All Saint's Day" instead of Halloween. That's what I thought the Harvest Festival was...a way to combat the evil by celbrating the "harvest" or what God has given us, instead of evil. I hope that what ever Trevor and I decide to do, we will decide now, so that what ever we "celebrate" as family becomes a tradition.
I really like the thought that by celebrating something good, we can counteract all the evil going on, or at least distract people from taking part in it. The difference about Halloween and Christmas is that Christmas is a Christian holiday, it was created to celebrate Christ's birth. However, over time, people have turned it into something else...but I see that even though they are not celebrating Christ's birth, they are still acknowedging it, because they know the meaning of Christmas whether or not they choose to celebrate for that reason.
Halloween, was never a Christian holiday...but by making it something different (in this case turning something bad, good) are we still acknowledging the bad stuff. There are people out there who really have no clue what Halloween used to stand for. I even think of Memorial Day or Labor Day...do people even celebrate those holidays for the real reason...I know I haven't.
Hmmm...it's seems like a double standard (even though I am fighting it myself) that for Christian holidays, it seems ridiculous when the world detracts from the real reason...yet, we take these other holidays and it's okay to turn it into something that we are comfortable with. Isn't that what the world does to our holidays?
Post a Comment