Tuesday, October 5

I Change My Mind!

So, then...just like that I have a total change of mind regarding the survey thing. After I posted, I was thinking "Maybe I should do a search to see if I can find survey companies and not have to pay to get a list"...which of course, I did. Then, as I was signing up with one, something caught my eye in their user agreement. They will be putting on my computer a tracking cooking to watch my surfing/shopping/etc. habits! What?!?

So, then it really got me thinking after I read Wendy's blog about trying to take something off her computer. I got on SBC Yahoo! (our DSL Provider homepage) and found that they have free anti-spyware software. After downloading it and running the program I discovered I had 127 spyware things on my computer!!! 5 of them were dialers which can just dial number without my knowledge and the I have to pay for them! There were also hijackers, which just take over what you are trying to look at - you type in a website to view and all of a sudden you are at a website that you never even typed! The majority of the items, however, were just tracking cookies (to track what I do online) So, I just deleted them all and decided that I'll never do the survey thing again...since that is probably where a lot of them came from.

So...consider yourself warned!

4 comments:

Julie said...

you go girl!

Wendy said...

I had like 50-some adware things at one point, went down to 30, then Ric had to get rid of the last few. And this other one I've had for a while but couldn't figure out till now. I got mine from just downloading song lyrics from a website!! It's a pain because if you don't get it all they can regenerate themselves...

Alicia said...

I wonder if anti-spyware actually catches adware also. It said that tracking cookies are things that track your visit to a certain site so that they can do pop-ups and stuff. Also, SBC Yahoo! came with pop-up blockers, so, I haven't had as many problems as you have.

Wendy said...

I have a firewall that it supposed to block pop-ups, which it did until that one file - it got around the firewll somehow.